By Latricia Powell—
As the summer comes to a close, it’s time to catch up on what’s been going on with Tarleton and in Stephenville.
The Memorial Stadium turf renovations were completed in July, and the field is now ready for Texan football. The construction is still not fully complete, however, as the next phase is expected to start in September. This will be a new grandstand, suites, and press box on the west side of the facility. Football games will be held at the renovated stadium and home side bleachers will not be affected, but the visitor’s side will have temporary bleachers added.
Tarleton’s new Police Department also opened up this summer. The grand opening was on July 19th, and was met with tours and refreshments for members of the community. The parking department will also be in this building as well. The new building is located on 895 N. Harbin Drive.
Hire a Texan is now operated by Handshake, the career-recruiting system that’s used by 180,000 companies and more than 350 universities. This system is expected to be more user-friendly and include more features. If you have not done so yet, go to the career services website to check out the tutorial on Handshake.
The granddaughter of a fallen Tarleton police officer is fighting to have her grandfather, Officer W. A. Hail, honored at the Texas Peace Officer Memorial and at the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial. During a panty raid in 1978, Officer Hail fell to the ground after chasing a suspect. According to the records, a doctor said it was a massive heart attack. Officer Hail’s granddaughter will hopefully hear an update sometime next year, but as for now, Chief Welch said a portrait of Hail will be placed in the lobby of the new Tarleton police department in honor of his sacrifice for the community.
Students from Tarleton were arrested back in June of 2017 for a hazing incident that took place back in April. Cases are still pending and some are expected to show up in court in early September. Texan News reached out to those involved but most have declined to comment.
There have also been many new roles and honors by members of the Tarleton faculty and administration over the summer:
- Associate Professor, Dr. Lesley Leach, chosen as associate dean of research and sponsored projects for Tarleton.
- Assistant Professor, Dr. Thomas J. Faulkenberry, named treasurer of the Southwestern Psychological Association for a three-year term.
- Dr. Kayla Peak, Associate Professor of Kinesiology and associate dean of the college of education, was named administrator of the year by Texas Association for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance. (TAHPERD)
- Tarleton professor, Dr. Marcy Tanter received a Fulbright scholarship to South Korea
- Dr. David Weissenburger has been named interim dean of the college of health science and human services.
- Dr. Rick Richardson was named the interim vice president of Tarleton finance division.
- Dr. Tod Allen Farmer was named Chief of Staff for President Dominic Dottavio.
- Dr. Lora Helvie-Mason became the new department head for the Department of Communication Studies.